(PatriotWise.com) – The Democratic Party of today is much different than it was at the time of its founding in the early 19th Century. Andrew Jackson, who was the first leader to represent the party as President, leaned significantly further right than even the modern GOP. Today, the party is far more liberal, carrying the following core values:
- Equal opportunities for all. All Americans should be treated fairly and with respect, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or any other protected characteristic. The government should actively work to prohibit discrimination, especially within the justice system.
- Health care for all. Every American has a right to adequate medical care, whether they are currently well or not. Those who cannot afford to pay out of pocket should have the right to coverage under a national Medicare program. No one should ever be refused medical treatment based on affordability alone.
- Education for all. All Americans have the right to adequate education from preschool well into early adulthood. No child should ever be left behind without opportunities for learning, which severely limits their ability to achieve the American Dream.
- The economy must be strong and fair. The economy should be a level playing field that supports the ability of all Americans to survive and thrive. Worker’s rights, including the right to a living wage, should be protected at all times. The government should play an active role in abolishing poverty through legislation and support programs.
- Climate change is a global emergency. The government must step in and take action to fight the very real and pervasive threat of climate change. This includes creating legislation and enforcing laws that protect the environment and many sensitive ecosystems found within the United States. It should also advocate for and support greener energy alternatives.
- Democracy is paramount. The government must transparently reflect the desires and needs of the people as a whole, not just the wealthy or major corporations. The right to vote should be granted to every American citizen over the age of 18. Voter rights should be enforced to the fullest extent of the law.
- Civil rights should be protected. Hate, including racism or any other form of prejudice against a protected group category, has no place in modern America. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Constitution itself, must be upheld as the supreme law of the land. The government must take an active role in preventing human rights violations.
- Foreign policies should serve the needs of the people. All foreign policies must support domestic renewal, rather than holding America back. This includes issues of national security and international relations. The government should seek to be diplomatic and peaceful, rather than chasing endless wars. America must be a global leader in the fight against human rights violations, wherever they occur.
Whether or not the Democratic Party has adhered to these core values consistently depends on who you ask. Staunch supporters firmly believe the answer is, “yes,” while those who disagree with the party’s continuous movement to the left are more likely to say no. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether the DNC fulfills its promises between elections.
Copyright 2020, PatriotWise.com