(PatriotWise.com) — Officers with the US Secret Service were called to the Cuban Embassy in Washington, DC, on Sunday after at least one homemade incendiary device was thrown at the embassy; however, no significant damage was done to the building and no one was injured, the Associated Press reported.
Officials at the Cuban Embassy reported that someone threw a “possible incendiary device” at the embassy building around 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, a Secret Service spokesman said on Monday. However, no fire erupted, and there was no significant damage to the building, the spokesman said.
While the Secret Service is investigating, so far, no arrests have been made.
Cuba’s Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said on social media that the embassy was the “target of a terrorist attack.” Rodriguez claimed that someone threw two Molotov cocktails at the building, but nobody was injured.
The Cuban embassy was built in 1917. It closed down in January 1961, two years after the Cuban Revolution, as tensions between the United States and Cuba escalated.
While the embassy reopened as an “interests section” in 1977, it did not become a formal embassy again until 2015, when relations between Cuba and the US were restored under the Obama administration.
Sunday’s attack at the Cuban Embassy is not the first incident since the embassy reopened.
In 2020, a Cuban seeking asylum in the United States opened fire on the embassy, peppering the front with more than two dozen rounds from an AK-47. The shooting left bullet holes in the façade and columns and pierced the glass around the main door. The gunman also hit the bronze statue of Cuban national hero Jose Marti.
The man later told law enforcement that he wanted to “get them” before Cuba could “get him.”
Copyright 2023, PatriotWise.com