(PatriotWise.com)- On Wednesday, a father and son were arrested on suspicion that they started the horrific Caldor Fire, which caused chaos and destruction earlier this year at Lake Tahoe. It resulted in massive evacuations.
66-year-old David Scott Smith along with his 32-year-old son Travis Shane Smith are accused of “reckless arson” and were arrested under Ramey warrants, which are used to arrest people before the criminal charges are properly filed.
The news was announced by El Dorado County’s district attorney on Wednesday, who also confirmed that the men are both being held on a $1 million bond.
Mark Reichel, a lawyer from Sacramento, said that the two had hired him in August after authorities raided their homes and searched their phones, and said that they are “shocked” by the idea that they started the fire.
In case you forgot how that wildfire went, just take a look at this horrifying footage:
“My clients and I have literally just sat and waited for this day to come,” Reichel explained. “As we sit here tonight, we have no idea what the prosecution’s theory is on how the fire started.”
He also explained that the two men were present at the Eldorado National Forest when they noticed the fire and called the emergency services on multiple occasions, but claimed that their calls kept dropping as they tried to inform them about the fire.
As soon as more information is revealed we’ll provide it.