(PatriotWise.com) — Social media users outraged over the claims by former NFL offensive lineman Michael Oher that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy profited from his name are demanding that actress Sandra Bullock be stripped of the Best Actress Oscar she won after starring in the 2009 film based on their lives, the Daily Caller reported.
In a petition filed in Tennesee last Monday, Oher is asking the court to dissolve the Tuohy family’s conservatorship, which was established in 2004.
The former offensive lineman, whose life story with the Tuohy family was made into the film “The Blind Side,” accuses the family of making millions off of his name and image.
The 37-year-old Oher, who played offensive lineman for both the Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens, claims in his petition that the Tuohys convinced him to sign the conservatorship, making them his legal guardians until he turned 25, rather than adopting him.
The family has denied the allegations in Oher’s petition.
Sean Tuohy told The Daily Memphian last Monday that the family made no money off of the Oscar-winning film. He said they neither asked for nor were offered money from the production company.
Despite Sandra Bullock having nothing to do with the current legal battle between Oher and the Tuohys, some on social media attacked the Oscar-winning actress, accusing her of using a film based on a false premise to boost her career, according to the Daily Caller.
In a statement last week, the family’s attorney, Martin Singer, said the Tuohys were “heartbroken” by the petition. He said Oher’s claim that the family profited from his name is “transparently ridiculous,” according to NPR.
Singer noted that it “defies belief” to think that a family worth “hundreds of millions of dollars” would contrive to withhold thousands of dollars in profit participation from someone they loved, like a son.
While the family hopes to reconcile with Oher, Singer said they will defend themselves against “this shakedown” and “offensive lawsuit.”
Copyright 2023, PatriotWise.com